The Two Rock Team
- Our mission is to offer our knowledge, advice, guidance and an unforgettable experience in the mountains, offering single and multi day hikes for curious and aspiring hillwalkers of all ages and walks of life.
- Mountain guides and hill users have a role to play in safeguarding the mountains, their landscapes and the communities that live amongst them. WE HAVE BROUGHT OUR PASSION FOR HIKING, CLIMBING AND GUIDING TO IRELAND .
Our Chief guide, a graduate in outdoor education, Kathryn has worked as a mountain leader guiding groups worldwide in countries such as Morocco, Costa Rica, Borneo, Vietnam and Sri Lanka. More recently guiding groups freelance around the Irish mountainside.
As a hiker, climber and mountaineer, Kathryn has lived in the French & Swiss Alps. however more recently, like most of us. Kathryn's time has been spent exploring the more local Irish and UK Mountains
As well as being fully qualified & insured, Kathryn has up to date first aid and mental health first aid qualifications.
GUIDE, TRANSPORT & LOGISTICS. ALSO A GRADUATE IN OUTDOOR EDUCATION, DARRANS' JOBS AND THEIR LOCATIONS HAVE VARIED FROM RAFT GUIDING IN THE STATES TO BEEKEEPING IN NEW ZEALAND. HE HAS CONSOLIDATED HIS EXPERIENCE IN THE MOUNTAINS GUIDING GROUPS FOR OUTDOOR CENTRES IN IRELAND AND HAS SPENT MUCH OF HIS ADULT LIFE ON HILLS AND MOUNTAINS IN IRELAND, SCOTLAND, EUROPE AND FURTHER AFIELD. FIVE WINTER SEASONS IN THE FRENCH ALPS DIDN'T FULFILL HIS INSATIABLE LOVE OF SNOW. WITH SOME 4000+ METRE WINTER SUMMITS OF MT BLANC, AND GRAN PARADISO AND A WINTER HAUTE ROUTE DURING THIS TIME. HE IS CURRENTLY A TRAINEE INTERNATIONAL MOUNTAIN LEADER.
DARRANS' CHIEF ROLE IN TWO ROCK OUTDOORS IS MANAGING TRANSPORT, LOGISTICS AND HIKING GUIDE. HE STARTED OUT DRIVING BUSES IN AN IRISH OUTDOOR EDUCATION CENTRE, HE HAS DRIVEN BUSES IN MOST WEATHER CONDITIONS. ALONG WITH STANDING CONTEMPLATING THE OCEAN, DARRANS HAS A PASSION FOR HISTORY, FOLKLORE AND WILD FLORA & FAUNA.
The Irish Mountain landscapes are pristine
They are unique unto themselves, with their own delicate eco systems, habitats and landscapes. Mountains are by definition, raised landforms, every metre of ascent brings you to new vegetation, habitats and climates. This is one of the reasons we visit these areas. With safety, conservation and preservation as one of our top priorities.
To cause as little disturbance as possible to these delicate areas. We put careful thought into our own effect on the areas we visit on our hikes and consider everything from footfall to an area, transport, litter, streams and most importantly the local communities in the areas we visit.
As well as experience we understand the need to have the accreditation to back this up.
With this in mind, every hike you take with us you can be assured you are in good hands. Your guide will have their Mountain Leader Qualification as well as a relevant up to date first aid qualifications.
We also understand the value of experience so as guides we are continually look at how we can offer the best guided service in the hills of Ireland and Northern Ireland. We relish feedback and continually reassess our routes and our impact on local communities and the environment.
To us, each day on the hills is also a day in school.
- REC 3 First aid
- Mental Health First Aid
- Summer ML Qualified
- Fully insured
- Members of MTA, Mountaineering Ireland and Leave No Trace
- Leave No Trace awareness course
- Over a decade of international hiking experience
- 5 years in adventure tourism
- D & D1 driving license & up to date CPC
- International Transport Manager
- Degree in Outdoor Education, Leisure, Geography and PE
- Activity Centre and International Expedition work experience
- Rock Climbing Instructor Award
We have a bus service available
We have a dedicated bus service which we hope can help reduce traffic to hiking areas that we visit. We can accommodate up to 15 passengers in our comfortable "Trail Runner" mini bus.
You can find more info on our dedicated transport site by clicking the button below.